Pickled Red Cabbage and Onion Relish
Give those glass jars new life!
With litter being an ever present problem, we can all do our little bit to make a difference. Recycling and reusing is a great way to reduce your waste and is a definite when trying to live more sustainably.
When we shop we try to always buy products that are in glass jars. Not only are they better for the environment they are great for reusing!
Here is a mouthwatering relish that we used to bring an array of purple into the life of a few of our empty jars.
This delightful little relish is from "But my family would never eat Vegan" by Kristy Turner. It beautifully combines so many flavours and you can totally add it to anything! Buddha bowl, Burrito bowl, avocado Sandwich, the possibilities are endless!
Makes 5 cups (1.2L)
Prep time: 10 Minutes
- 2 cups (480ml) apple cider vinegar
- 2/3 cup (110g) brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 allspice berries
- 3 cloves
- 1 medium red onion, halved and very thinly sliced
- 3 cups (200g) shredded or very thinly sliced red cabbage
- Combine the vinegar, sugar, salt, all spice and cloves in a small pot and bring to boil. Once the sugar has completely dissolved, after about 1 minute, remove from the hear and set aside.
- Pack the onion and cabbage into a large jar. Pour the vinegar mixture over the vegetables. If not completely submerged, add more vinegar. Seal the jar and shake! Refrigerate for 3 50 4 hours before using. Leftovers will keep in the fridge for 7 to 10 days.